My name is Jayson D Cooke and I am the founder/president of the Griffith University Society for Skeptics and Freethinkers. We are an open group of volunteer university students and members of the general public both locally and internationally and have been working as a group since July 07.
Our aims are:
• To educate and share skills in critical thinking and scientific skepticism.
• To create a community for skeptics, freethinkers and anyone and everyone with a rational and/or curious world view.
• To encourage freedom from superstition, irrationalism, and dogma.
• To further the acceptance and application of science, reason, and critical thinking in all areas of human endeavour.
In fulfilment of these aims we pursue various goals:
• Advancing the public understanding and appreciation of science and reason.
• Exposing pseudoscience.
• Engage in scientific investigation and journalistic research to investigate claims made by people on a wide range of subjects.
• Debate the philosophy of science, skepticism, and theism.
• Stimulate meaningful dialogue among religious and nonreligious students of all faiths and beliefs.
We have been fortunate enough to promote and attend talks by Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, Professor Ian Frazier, Professor K. Barry Sharpless, Professor Bill Phillips, and Professor Alister McGrath, and Professor Harry Messell and have just hosted a presentation by Australia’s premier mystery investigator Richard Saunders!